If you are struggling to get a good night's sleep, don't despair, you can improve both the quality and quantity of your sleep by making a few simple changes. Here are some tips to improve your sleep environment:
- Invest in a mattress that will allow sleep in an anatomically neutral position - correct posture has huge benefits for your health both during sleep and in life;
- Make sure the room is at the right temperature – you will have more chance of staying asleep if you are comfortable and not too hot or cold during the night;
- Ensure the room is very dark – light can trick your body into waking up;
- If noise cannot be controlled, invest in a pair of earplugs – noise can disturb you both when you are awake and when you are asleep;
- Make your bedroom primarily a place for sleeping and not for working, paying bills or watching TV. By using your bed only for sleeping, you will train your brain and body to switch off and go into its natural, daily and healthy sleep pattern;
- Avoid using appliances producing electro magnetic waves i.e. TV, radio, mobile phones, heating, water beds etc. – research has shown that these electro-magnetic waves can interrupt your natural sleep cycles.